Skip to main content

Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS)

Child Protection

540 Cedar St, St. Paul, MN, 55155

Service Details


County and tribal child protection workers work with families to prevent child maltreatment. In some cases, they work with the courts and law enforcement to remove children from the home if they are in harm's way.

Children who have been victims of sex trafficking can get help under the Safe Harbor law.

The Safe Place for Newborns law provides a safe and anonymous alternative for mothers to safely give up their newborns. Mothers, or someone with their permission, may leave unharmed newborns, no more than seven days old, with an ambulance dispatched in response to a 9-1-1 call, or at a hospital or health care facility that provides urgent care.

Application Instructions

Call the county or tribal social service agency, or the police, where the child lives if you believe that a child is being hurt or neglected.

Statewide list of phone numbers

Some people, whose jobs involve caring for children, such as doctors, teachers and ministers, are required by law to report suspected child abuse or neglect.

Other people, such as neighbors or relatives, are encouraged to report if they think a child is being abused or neglected.

Your report is confidential and your name cannot be released to the family except by a court order.

Area Served



Phone Numbers

Type Number Hours
Main - DHS Information Desk (651) 431-2000
Speech-to-Speech relay (877) 627-3848
TTY (800) 627-3529

Last Update


Other Locations

This provider does not offer this service at other locations.

Taxonomy Terms Used. Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.