Lutheran Social Service - Senior Corps
Senior Companion Program
LSS Senior Corps - Northwest MN
Call for location
Program that provides opportunities for older adults to help elderly individuals with everyday tasks to live independently. They may also provide transportation to essential activities, such as medical appointments and household errands.
Senior companions receive a tax-free stipend and other benefits.
This is an AmeriCorps Seniors program.
Senior Companion volunteers offer friendship, non-medical support and transportation to older adults through weekly visits at home and in the community.
To qualify as a volunteer you must:
* Be 55 years of age or older and in good general health
* Be flexible and available with service activity schedule
* Have dependable transportation available and is willing to travel in the service area
* Have compassion, patience, flexibility and respect for others
* Work well with diverse individuals, families, groups and organizations
Senior Companion assistance is available to seniors who would be able to continue living independently at home with the help of a weekly friendly visitor.
Contact your local Lutheran Social Services (LSS) representative to receive companion services.
To volunteer as a senior companion, contact LSS with the online form or call (651) 310-9440 for further information.
Becker, Beltrami, Cass, Clay, Clearwater and Hubbard counties
- LSS Senior Corps - Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - East Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - East Metro Area 1605 Eustis St, Ste 406, St. Paul, MN, 55108
- LSS Senior Corps - Hennepin County Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - North Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - North Shore Area Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - South Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - South Metro Area Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - Southeast MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - Southwest MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - West Central MN Call for location, MN
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
ND-9200.8000-800Senior Companion Program Definition
Programs that provide part-time opportunities for low-income individuals age 60 and older to serve one-on-one with frail elderly and other homebound persons who have difficulty completing everyday tasks. They assist with grocery shopping, bill paying, and transportation to medical appointments, and alert doctors and family members to potential problems. Senior Companions also provide short periods of relief to primary caregivers. Senior companions receive a modest tax-free stipend for their work as well as reimbursement for transportation, annual physical examinations, meals, and accident and liability insurance during service. Local nonprofit organizations and public agencies receive grants to sponsor and operate Senior Companion projects. The Senior Companion Program is part of Senior Corps, a network of programs administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
PX-2300.1700Companionship Volunteer Opportunities Definition
Organizations that are actively seeking individuals with the requisite skills who are willing, on a voluntary basis without remuneration, to provide friendship and shared activities and/or appropriate role models for individuals who suffer from lack of company, loneliness or social isolation; who need practice conversing in English; or who lack the companionship and guidance of an adult figure or model.