Lutheran Social Service - Senior Corps
Foster Grandparent Program
LSS Senior Corps - South Central MN
Call for location
Trains and places persons age 55 and older who are in good health to serve special needs children in schools, preschools, juvenile detention centers, child care centers, and shelters.
Foster Grandparents serve between 15 and 40 hours per week depending on the program.
This is an AmericCorps Seniors program.
To qualify as a volunteer you must:
* Be 55 years of age or older and in good general health
* Be flexible and available with service activity schedule
* Have dependable transportation available and is willing to travel in the service area
* Have compassion, patience, flexibility and respect for others
* Work well with diverse individuals, families, groups and organizations
Benton, Kandiyohi, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Sherburne, Stearns and Wright counties
- LSS Senior Corps - Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - East Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - East Metro Area 1605 Eustis St, Ste 406, St. Paul, MN, 55108
- LSS Senior Corps - Hennepin County Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - North Central MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - Northwest MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - South Metro Area Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - Southeast MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - Southwest MN Call for location, MN
- LSS Senior Corps - West Central MN Call for location, MN
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
ND-9200.8000-200Foster Grandparent Program Definition
Programs that provide part-time opportunities for low-income individuals age 55 and older to serve as mentors, tutors and caregivers for abused or neglected children, troubled youth, or youngsters with disabilities or other special needs in schools, hospitals, child care programs, Head Start programs and residential settings. Foster grandparents receive a modest tax-free stipend for their work as well as reimbursements for their travel expenses, and have the satisfaction of helping young people grow, gain confidence, and become more productive members of society. Local nonprofit organizations and public agencies receive grants to sponsor and operate local Foster Grandparent projects. The Foster Grandparents Program is part of Senior Corps, a network of programs administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
PX-2300.1700-500Mentoring Services Volunteer Opportunities Definition
Organizations that are actively seeking individuals who are willing, on a voluntary basis without remuneration, to provide companionship and guidance and/or serve as role models for individuals who are disadvantaged because of age, income, physical or developmental disabilities or family environment. Some programs may be looking specifically for male or female adult volunteers to serve as mentors for young men or women from families in which adult figures of the same gender are absent or only available on a limited and inadequate basis or who are troubled and at risk for delinquency; or for people who are willing to serve as peer role models. Also included are volunteer opportunities for career mentors, i.e., professionals who are willing to be paired with people who have an interest in their occupation/job.
YY-0500.6000Older Adult Volunteers Definition
Older adults who are seeking opportunities to donate their time to work on any of a wide variety of projects which benefit the community or people in need.